The great photo excursions!

The great photo excursions!
Ready... Set... Click

Friday 16 September 2016

Spontaneous outbursts of jazz......





It's hot, sticky and muggy here in New Orleans.

It was rather late by the time I arrived at my hotel in New Orleans but I couldn't wait to experience it. I had, of course heard about New Orleans.... Mardi Gras, Hurricane Katrina, the Mississippi River. But I wasn't sure what to expect, especially in non-Mardi Gras season. Would it still be a massive non-stop party place?

It had been raining off and on for the last several days and the temperature hovered around 30 degrees (that's 90 for my American friends) so the minute I stepped out of the airport the humidity hit me. It shrouded me like a damp towel, making it difficult to breathe until I adjusted.

Heading out now from my hotel, the sun was setting and the full moon hung over the towering buildings in the French Quarter.  Making our way down Canal Street toward the infamous Bourbon Street I thought, "oh, this isn't exactly what I envisioned. It's not as boisterous and colorful as I thought it would be."  Then I turned the corner onto Bourbon Street. "Now this is what I expected!"

The music filled the streets. Jazz, Blues. A single musician playing a saxophone here, a full brass ensemble outside the doors to a bar or restaurant there.


People of all shapes, colors and descriptions spilled into the streets. Restaurants with doors wide open, inviting passerbys in. Walk up bars where you could grab a beer, a bourbon or whatever else libation appealed.  Gentlemen's clubs with scantily clad ladies leaning in the doorways, inviting, beckoning, tempting...

A group of young women, all wearing wreaths of flowers on their heads (it had to be a bridal shower or stagette) excitedly rush into the Ladies club, welcomed by three beefy and shirtless young men. They were in for a great time! What goes on the road......

Making our way down Bourbon Street, we are jostled, sidestepping tourists who are stopped to watch a sight. Everywhere Oyster Houses, cafes and restaurants offering Po-Boys, Jambalaya, Gumbo, Crawfish. 

It is hot, humid, spicy; the humidity and humanity mixing together to create an atmosphere that is intriguing, bold and uniquely New Orleans - much like their famous Gumbo. It is no wonder, I think, it is their local speciality with its mixture of tastes and flavours simmered together in a hot spicy sauce.

Heading back now to the hotel, I look forward to the next six days, eager to uncover more of this fascinating place. Come With Me.










No comments:

Post a Comment